April 25, 2011
Mr. Anderson Cooper
10 Columbus Circle
New York, NY
Dear Mr. Cooper:
I view all three or the principal cable networks, including sampling your program as well as competing commentators. Over the weekend I have observed you are once again promising to deliver the “definitive answer” to the issues raised by doubts about President Barack Obama’s birth.
Over 100 million Americans have doubts about Obama’s birth. But not everyone has the same doubts. Distinguishing between the types of “doubters” is an important exercise. The media created the term “Birther’ as a way of disparaging the “doubters.” I accepted and adopted the term Birther since it is a convenient shorthand. But as someone who claim to be spreading the truth and “digging deeper” for the facts, you should be providing a detailed analysis of what exactly is believed and by whom.
When I went to Honolulu in October, 2008 I was the first investigative analyst to look into Barack Obama’s birth. No one had actually gone there and conducted an independent investigation. Shortly after I announced I was trying to meet with Obama’s real grandmother, as opposed to the bogus “granny” Obama was promoting in Kenya, Obama joined me in Honolulu. For reasons known only to him, Obama also kept his own daughters away from their real granny.
CNN had contacted me before I left for Honolulu and hired a camera crew to follow me in Hawai’i. You can actually see me preparing my first, and to date only, lawsuit seeking release of Obama’s original, 1961 birth certificate:
Although John Roberts tried to make a joke of my research, my claims have stood the test of time. After taking the oath of office, Obama began parading his “Muslim family background” in public. Somewhat amazingly, he has never denied the Frank Marshall Davis connection (which would partially eliminate the Muslim connection).
Since my original trip to Honolulu I have been back many times. Unlike Donald Trump, who claims his Hawai’i research is “none of your business” I have always shared my research and never claimed it was secret.
This past weekend (April 23-24) a Hawai’i state senator agreed with my original (2008) and ongoing claims.
So what have I said?
My original claim, in filing the Honolulu lawsuit, was that above and beyond the Certificate of Live Birth (“COLB”) which Obama had released, there was actually a typewritten “ribbon copy” original document in Hawai’i state files. My lawsuit triggered a firestorm. A few days later the Hawaii Health Department was forced to confirm my legal claim that there was indeed an original document. As recently as this month, a former Hawai’i official has claimed that there is indeed an original document and she identified the document the same way I did in 2008 (typewritten and handwritten) and disclosed its location.
Here are the facts:
1. The original document exists.
2. Contrary to the Hawai’i Attorney General’s recent claims to MSNBC, there is no law barring the release of the original archival document.
3. Unless and until we see what is on the original document anything more than a claim about the document’s existence is pure speculation. That is why I have consistently declined to speculate about the contents of a document I have not seen. Nevertheless, any scholar or author would have to see the original document to ascertain its contents. No one, not even in a Ph.D. program, could say the COLB is a substitute for examining the original.
4. Obama could request and/or direct the release of the original document and he has steadfastly refused to do so. Until Hawai’i was forced to admit that an original existed, Obama tried to peddle the COLB as his “birth certificate.”
5. While the COLB is an official document for the purpose of establishing the fact of birth in various contexts (e.g. voter registration, etc.), that document on its face (look at he back side) states that it is only an “abstract” of the original. By definition an abstract is not a copy; it is merely an abridged version of some of the information on the original.
6. Because “Barack Obama” of 1961 is now “President Obama” the original, typewritten document is a historical archive of the presidency. There is absolutely no basis to continue to conceal the original on the false premise that “privacy” protects the president’s archival information.
Others have speculated that there is a “Kenyan birth.” I have never seen any credible evidence to support that claim. Here is where your own disinformation enters the picture.
Rather than focusing on the facts as I have articulated them, you have preferred to repeatedly interview conspiracy theorists or good faith people (such as state legislators) who really don’t know what they are talking about. In other words, by propagandizing about information that has never been shown to exist, you have aided and abetted in spreading the Birther lies of some persons.
If and when any credible evidence surfaces which impeaches Hawaii’s claims that Obama was born there, I will scrutinize it carefully. I have not hesitated to debunk false claims or false documents, such as the YouTube video that purports to show Obama admitting to being born in Kenya.
Instead of trying to “sex up” your program with misrepresentations, or lies spread by individuals who have no sense of the truth or commitment to accuracy, why not just tell the simple straightforward truth tonight? Just tell your audience there is a document, the existence of the document has repeatedly been confirmed, and Obama refuses to authorize release of the document.
That’s the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Oh, and tell your audience that until Obama releases his document, we won’t know what’s on it. That where the public’s “doubts” begin, but it is not where they end.
Politicians and so-called political commentators (cable TV bobbleheads) claim that the “Birther matter” hurts Republicans. I believe that is not the case. The Birther controversy is having a corrosive impact on Obama’s presidency. When I announced my candidacy for the presidency in December I said there was an untapped reservoir of birther concern. Donald Trump’s “campaign” has shown the wisdom and accuracy of my analysis. People wants answers; they can see Obama is not providing them.
Obama, moreover, knows the Birther battle undermines him, which is why a story about his mother appeared in the New York Times yesterday, and why his half-sister recently reappeared.
Obama is lying about something, and trying to hide something on his original document. What it is he is hiding I do not know. Why not admit you don’t know either, and instead of excoriating the Birthers for being wrong, ask Obama to do the right thing and demand the release of his original document. That’s what Chris Matthews of MSNBC has done.
That would indeed be “digging deeper” for the facts and truth. That’s all I have ever done since I started writing about Obama in 2004. And look what I created: the Birther movement. One hundred million + strong.
APRIL 25TH NEW YORK NEWS CONFERENCE DETAILS:
Republican Party Presidential Candidate Andy Martin
Republican Presidential Candidate Andy Martin
10 Columbus Circle, W. 58th Street, CNN Offices, New York City
Monday, April 25, 2011, 4:00 P.M.